Rijeka (Croatian pronunciation: [rijěːka] ( listen); Italian: Fiume [ˈfjuːme]; Slovene: Reka; German: Sankt Veit am Flaum; see other names) is the principal seaport and the third-largest city in Croatia (after Zagreb and Split). It is located in Primorje-Gorski Kotar County on Kvarner Bay, an inlet of the Adriatic Sea and has a population of 128,624 inhabitants (2011). The metropolitan area, which includes adjacent towns and municipalities, has a population of more than 240,000.
Restaurants in Rijeka
4.5 based on 505 reviews
Trsat Castle represents a strategically embossed gazebo on a hill 138 meters above sea level that dominates Rijeka. As a parochial centre it was mentioned for the first time in 1288. Trsat Castle is one of the oldest fortifications on the Croatian Coast, where the characteristics of the early medieval town construction have been preserved. Today Trsat Castle, beside the Bazilisk souvenir shop and the Gradina coffee bar, is enriched with new facilities – gallery space where art Exhibitions are held as well as open-air summer Concerts and theatre Performances as well as fashion shows and Literary evenings. Within Trsat Castle, at the Petra Zrinskog b.b. Address, is the Trsat Castle Info Point where any information about this building and the town of Rijeka can be found.
So extremely beautiful during Christmas & NY time, breathtaking! Perfect lights and decorations followed with beautiful music, if you're in Rijeka at this period this place is a must!
5 based on 98 reviews
During the November 1st till May 1st you can visit us only by previous announcement on our mobile phone or email
If you're buzzing around in Croatia during your well deserved holidays, make yourself a gift and head to Peek & Poke, the Computer Museum in Rijeka/Fiume. They've gathered a lovely collection of old computers and consoles, calculating machines and other goodies from the 50's till the present day. They also give vintage books away for free! A must see for all the geeks out there (Opening time: Mon-Fri: 14-20; Sat: 11-14)
4.5 based on 74 reviews
Residing in Kastav (Hotel Kukuriku) gives you a wonderful option of combining a gourmet stay in a little village with sightseeing just around the corner in Rijeka, Opatija or a day at the sea at Krk Island, or like. The area is beautiful and taking a cosy walk in Kastav itself in the evening is for sure a nice end of a beautiful day.
4 based on 304 reviews
At the beginning of the 20th century, Korzo started to assume its modern-day outlines. The main Promenade and meeting-point for Rijeka citizens as well as the construction area used in building the symbolic palaces demonstrate various styles including Classical, Historical, Secessional, and Modernist. Urban regulations appeared in the latter half of the 19th century, but these meant only an intensification of the rate of raising the seabed (with sand), and grand public constructions which appear to have very developed the seabed. Even then, at the turn of the century, the picture is of a littoral town straitened by its walls. Today, is hard to believe that until the sea-trench was filled-in and the town walls pulled down, this was only a gravel sea coast with a few wooden embankments and storehouses, a shipyard and a city log house which traded in cereals, fish and salt.
Lots of outdoor cafes, restaurants, bars, souvenir shops, shopping, you name it...The street is crowded, but fun to walk up and down. Very popular with the locals, some of the side streets have a little more shade. This weekend there is a street faire with old time arts and crafts, native costumes, singing and dancing. All pretty interesting...
4 based on 80 reviews
Gradski Toranj (City Tower), a symbol of Rijeka, is a good example of a typical round tower access-point, which lead into the fortified town. Today it dominates the central part of Korzo, although it was, during its time, overtopped by more recently constructed buildings. It was built in the Middle Ages, probably on the foundations of the Late Ancient, littoral town doors. Some baroque phases of its construction can be seen on the lower part of the front of the Tower, which are characterised by a richly decorated portal, an imperial coat of arms carved out of stone and a relief of the Austrian emperors Leopold and Charles VI. Rijeka paid them special respect due to the maritime orientation they introduced into the state policies of the Austrian court.
I spent three to four hours walking throughout city; much of splendor of Fiume still remains and I was lucky to bump into a local street food market; a good cross section of the culture was there, Many great building from the great days when it was park of Austria or Italy.
4.5 based on 69 reviews
Variety of products such as fruits, vegetables, meat and fish... You can find domestic products, but also products from Italy, Spain, Greece and other countries. Older grannys which on the table do not have plenty of products ( but only few kinds of fruits or vegetables) - there You will most probably find origin domestic product. On fish market You can find daily catched fish.....
4.5 based on 53 reviews
Built in 1885 as a city theatre according to the design of the specialized Vienna Helmer and Fellner workshop, which designed similar buildings throughout the Austro-Hungary of the time. Matsch, Kauffungen and Fritsch, and the Klimt brothers, permanent associates of the workshop, were charged with equipping the theatre, contributing to the pronounced central European atmosphere of the town. The exterior is adorned by figurative compositions of Music and Drama by Venetian sculptor Benvenutti. The opening of the theatre was marked by a performance of Verdi's Aida.
So, each time I visit Rijeka, i make sure I go and see ballet they have currently, but not only that. I'm not sure how know fact is that this building built under Austria's influence (during Vienna's most successful art period in late 1800's). Theater's building was inaugurated in 1885. was first building that had electrical lightning in Rijeka and that ceiling's main painting was painted by Gustav Klimt and his brother.
4.5 based on 36 reviews
THE MARITIME AND HISTORY MUSEUM OF THE CROATIAN LITTORAL has been one of the most important meeting-places of culture in the city of Rijeka for the last four decades. With its permanent display and many valuable Exhibitions from its own holdings or of other Croatian museums it takes part in tracing the important events connected with the history and culture of Rijeka, Primorje-Gorski Kotar County and Croatia, and so it reveals small parts of the insufficiently known past. With its research into the complex materials (of archaeological, ethnographical, artistic, cultural-historical and maritime-historical characteristics), in a time span from prehistory to the Modern Age, with expert and scientific methods it processes, systemises and presents the role and development of the whole of the social organism in the region of Primorje-Gorski Kotar County, the Croatian Littoral and the city of Rijeka and points out its specific and interactive relationship with other European centres over a thousand year period, with the aim of becoming a dynamic, open and educative institution. With its headquarters in the building of the former Governor’s Palace, a protected cultural monument, as exhibit number 1, the museum with an interdisciplinary approach offers the consideration–identification, familiarisation and understanding of the character of the people and places, memories and myths, uncovering the identity, which represents an unbreakable link of the past and present.
The Maritime and Historical Museum is located in one of the most beautiful buildings from the nineteenth century in Rijeka. This building used to be a palace which was designed and built as the residence of governors. The relevant construction began in 1892 under the rule of the Governor Lajos Batthyany on the famous Hungarian architect Alajos Hauszmann's design. Upon its completion a former palace built upon the establishment of the Governorate in Rijeka in 1779, situated in today's Jadranski Trg was demolished. The palace harbouring nowadays the museum concerned was the seat of the Governorate until the collapse of the Monarchy in 1918.
The Museum subject matter of this review was founded in 1961. It's divided into categories and contains maritime, cultural and historical, etnographic and archaeological departments with pre-historical, Greek, Roman, madieval and numismatic collections.
Some of the original pieces from the Governor's palace have been preserved and are displayed in the salons, including furniture and objects belonging to periods going from Renaissance to Historicism, as well as a collection of portraits of the most prominent citizens of Rijeka. Among those rooms there is the White Salon showing the luxurious interiors of the 19th century. The ceiling of this outbuilding was decorated with gilded stuccatura by the sculptor Antal Szabo and the light fittings are made of murano glass. Really significant in this room are the white marble fireplace and the large mirror above it. The furniture, Louis XV style, was deisgned by the same Hungarian architect to whom the plans for the Palace were entrusted. Unfortunately this salon was heavily damaged by the bombardment of Dannunzio's forces in 1920 but happily enough it could be restaured to its original state.
Furthermore, in the living room one can observe a clear example of Biedemeier style. In pursuance of it the furniture had to be arranged according to the owner's whishes and needs without being lined up alongside the wall. Most of the living room furniture was usually located at the corner of the room. There was always a mirror and whenever possible a piano and a glass cabinet. The most characteristic part of that furniture was the secretaire, which consisted of a central niche and mirrors, drawers and secret compartments.
In the rest of the museum a great variety of objects are exhibited, divided, as already stated, into categories. There is a section devoted to ald weapons, mostly guns and rifles. And for the ones fascinated by aquatic forms of transport, the History of Maritime Department consists of historical reconstructions of ships, ship equipment, nautical instruments, maps pictures and prints. Besides, in the archaeological section some pottery and ceramic items dating back to the third century before Christ as well Antiquity coins are exhibited. In the last room there are interesting paintings by famous artists such as Palma Giovane and Leandro Bassano, as well as other nice elements such as a murano glass bowl.
The Museum is therefore worth visiting and due to the manifold interesting objects and masterpieces kept in it it's advisable to stay there for instance a whole morning in order to take as much profit as possible from the observation of the different objects displayed in the different departments.
4 based on 70 reviews
Rijeka’s St. Vitus Cathedral is the only Baroque Rotunda of monumental dimensions built on Croatian land. The construction of this church began in 1638 based on the design of the Jesuit architect G. Brian. The eminent Venetian church, Santa Maria della Salute, served as s model. An elevated spot was chosen for the construction of St. Vitus church at the heart of the then medieval urban tissue. Initially there was a small church of the same name located on the same site, dedicated to the city’s patron saint. The Jesuit order, as creator of the project, immediately decided to use the cult of the wooden Magic crucifix from the original church, which popular legend says began to bleed when a certain Petar Lončarić, threw a stone on it in fear after losing at gambling.
The Cathedral, as we see it today was first a Jesuits’ church and it was built upon their arrival in Rijeka in the first half of the seventeenth century. It was raised to the category of a Cathedral when that city became the centre of the diocese and in 1969 that of the archbishopric.
It has the shape of a Rotunda, which is a unique case in Croatia. The church is basically of baroque style and indeed spectacular as far as its interior is concerned. The central space is octagonal and it opens up with semicircular arcades towards oval domed chapels. Tuscan pillars and arches are along the eight sides of the central space. The high altar is a wonderful set of statues and carvings, and in the centre of the altarpiece there is a precious crucifix. The side altars are also richly decorated with fine paintings and sculptures. In them the marble is an outstanding component both as regards the statues, the columns and the rest of the altar structure.
Extremely beautiful is also the pulpit. It’s bedecked with high quality sculptures representing the four evangelists and supported by two massive volutes.
The exterior is also imposing. The entrance is really beautiful with its tall round columns supporting a balcony like structure and two smaller ones a bit more inside and separated from the street supporting a tympan within a higher semicircular arch containing a leaded glass window over the said tympan. A gallery extension, characteristic of the 18th century, means another step towards the introduction of the baroque style. In addition, the outer part of the church was raised up with the construction of a high tambour and a dome encompassed by a conical roof. The semidetached belfry tower is outstanding on the extreme right hand side of the octogon as we look at it from outside and is also a nice element to be taken into account.
On the basis of the foregoing, the visit of this unique building is a must while in Rijeka. The visit should be carried out with time enough to pay attention to every single detail described herein as well as to the others and so try to apprehend the high value of the entire baroque oeuvre, letting the imagination run free at the astonishing beauty of the edifice.
4 based on 53 reviews
The Our Lady of Trsat Sanctuary, the oldest sanctuary dedicated to the Virgin Mary in Croatia, which is daily visited by numerous pilgrims both from Croatia and abroad. It is famous for its numerous concessions and for the pilgrimages by numerous believers throughout the year, and especially on the Assumption of Mary holiday. The Sanctuary includes the Church of Our Lady of Trsat, the Franciscan monastery, the thesaurus, the Chapel of oath gifts, Mary’s park and Pope John Paul II’s pastoral centre.
After having climbed up the stairway of more than 500 steps one gets to contemplate the marvelous Church of Our Lady, That church has made Trsat be the site of exceptional religious events and gatherings for over 700 years. In fact the sanctuary of Our Lady is the oldest Croatian sanctuary of pilgrimage dedicated to the continual adoration of the Holy Virgin. It’s a part of the Franciscan monastery complex and lies on a nice and peaceful plateau where wandering around is particularly enjoyable. The stated monastery is situated alongside the church and it has been the home of Franciscans as the guardians of the Trsat Treasury. Unfortunately the day the undersigned went there, July 24th 2016, there was a group of youngsters having suffered a brainwash on their way to Krakow, led by some unscrupulous beings, who made the place not to be so peaceful as usual.
According to tradition the building of the church can be put down to Prince Nikola I Frankopan (1307-1343). It was enlarged by his descendants. In 1453 Prince Martin Frankopan added on a nave and built a monastery alongside the church, occupied since 1468 by the Franciscans. Both the outer part and the inner part of the church are of baroque style with a prominent but beautiful belfry tower. The arches of the interior remind however those of the Romanesque style though they look more sturdy. It’s one of the few existing two-naved churches, as it is that of St. Michael in Luxembourg. Normally churches have an odd number of aisles, from one to five, and a reduced number of churches have just two naves. In that one subject matter of this review both the main nave and the side aisle have the same height and they are separated by square columns from the top of which semicircular arches stem. Nevertheless the church hall is divided in three parts separated by thin pillars.
All the chapels are very well and richly decorated, with statues of saints and baroque columns all of which make a very fine whole. The chapel devoted to our Lady (shrine) at the back of the church behind the high altar is indeed spectacular and it’s worth staying there for a while observing the sculptural value of that part.
Other interesting elements of the complex which cannot be missed are the cloister, the chapel of the candles and the votive church with all its pictures, images, ship miniatures and other peculiar objects.
ThingsToDoWeb © 2018 All rights reserved.