Discover the best top things to do in Mourao, Portugal including Castelo de Mourao, Museu da Luz, Igreja Matriz de Nossa Senhora das Candeias, Igreja da Misericordia, Igreja Matriz da Granja, Igreja de S. Francisco, Igreja de N. S. da Luz, Chamines Mouriscas, Igreja da Misericordia, Praia Fluvial de Mourao.
Restaurants in Mourao
3.5 based on 90 reviews
We made a stop en route just because we saw the walls from the distance. It was beautiful because the place is so quaint. We were the only visitors which made it easy to imagine what it was like in historic times. The church is rather plain yet worth visiting. The views are really pretty and it is definitely worth the stop.
4 based on 11 reviews
A simple - though architecturally interesting - museum about the village and Roman castle that got flooded when Alqueva Lake was created. The best part is the film (which has English subtitles) - really worth taking the time to sit down and watch it - quite heartbreaking and insightful. And then go have a drink in the new Luz.
3.5 based on 3 reviews
Especially interesting at the moment, as has a display of the 18th C banners and statues used in the Easter processions (though explanations only in Portuguese). Simple church - mass is held here every Saturday at 19:30.
4 based on 1 reviews
O templo que hoje se conhece não é o original, que remontava, certamente, ao século XIV, quando a igreja era comenda dos Hospitalários, passando mais tarde para a Ordem de Avis.
A construção da igreja actual remonta ao final do século XVI e ao início da centúria seguinte, tendo sido realizada a expensas da Mesa Metropolitana de D. Teodósio de Bragança (IDEM). A esta campanha foi acrescentada a cabeceira, em 1761, de forma a poder aí instalar o novo retábulo-mor, contemporâneo da renovação artística do interior.
A fachada principal, em empena, é seccionada por pilastras que definem três panos. O lateral esquerdo corresponde à torre sineira, de remate em coruchéu, sendo possível que, do lado oposto, o traçado inicial previsse uma outra torre, depois não construída. Ao centro, o portal, de verga recta, é ladeado por colunas dóricas e encimado pelo escudo da Casa Real e da Ordem de Avis. Foi executado em 1629 conforme se pode ler numa inscrição aí presente. Os alçados laterais são ritmados pelos contrafortes de remate em voluta, e cuja disposição se reflecte nas pilastras e arcos do interior que definem cinco tramos. Na nave encontra-se um altar, fronteiro ao púlpito, com retábulo à face. Os restantes cinco, de gosto rococó, agrupam-se junto ao arco triunfal e capela-mor, sendo que o arco e a cabeceira são revestidos por pintura mural. O retábulo-mor, remonta, como já foi referido, à década de 1760.
( texto retirado da publicação Património Cultural)
4 based on 1 reviews
We were all alone. Quite beautiful, easy to find. Sweet town to drive thru getting there.just wander around. Don't trip. Views of Spain & Portugal forever & ever. Great photo ops. But this is not done up for the tourist market- no shops or places to eat or sleep. Hope they never let it get destroyed.
3 based on 1 reviews
This is not really a review of the church, but of the Museu de Luz, which is adjacent. There is precious little to help you find it, so follow the signs to the church. Once there you will see a wide low slate wall with Museu de Luz in discreet lettering at the bottom left. Just to the left is a slate ramp going down behind the wall and when you descend and turn the corner you will find a very impressive slate and glass walled building almost below ground. There is only one employee, and she was not actually very busy, as we were the only tourists there for the almost two hours either side of lunch that we visited.
The Museum records the old village of a Luz which vanished beneath the Alqueva Reservoir about 14 years ago, and the resettlement of the old villagers in the present purpose built village. There are a couple of display rooms with old tools and archaeological finds from the area, but what captivated us was a documentary film showing the process of relocation and interviewing the former inhabitants.
The film is about 1 hour long, but alas we had only watched about 45 minutes, when the receptionist announced she had to close to go home and prepare lunch for her family. She stopped the film, so that if we came back we could watch from where we had seen rather than start again.
We went off and found a coffee and a bifana, at a Cafe Lousa, which seemed to be the only place open nearby.
The story and the interviews with the old villagers was well worth watching, my only gripe being that for an expensive modern building they were using a cheap and inadequate video projector. They really should invest in a higher quality one and a decent screen.
If today was any indication of the number of visits made then I can't see it lasting, so go while it is still open.
ThingsToDoWeb © 2018 All rights reserved.